SARC is a four year integrated project concerned with long term research in advanced computer architecture.
It focuses on a systematic scalable approach to systems design, ranging from small energy critical embedded systems right up to large scale networked data servers.
As current methods of designing computer systems will no longer be feasible in 10 -15 years time, what is needed is a new innovative approach to architecture design that scales both with advances in underlying technology and with future application domains.
This is achieved by fundamental and integrated research in scalable architecture, scalable systems software, interconnection networks and programming models each of which is a necessary component in architectures 10+ years from now.
If successful, this will allow Europe to capitalise on its dominance in embedded systems and interconnection networks and gain market share as consumer electronics and general purpose computing continue to converge.
To achieve this aim, the 4-year project has the following main objectives:
- Develop a scalable integrated architecture applicable to a wide range of applications: from low power mobile radio to data centres for 2015 onwards and deliver an order of magnitude improvement over current approaches.
- Solve the design crisis by investigating innovative approaches to reducing architecture complex ity and automating design space exploration, reducing design time by an order of magnitude over today's approaches.
- Develop innovative approaches to compiler construction that can automatically scale with processing power and can adapt to architecture evolution reducing compiler design time by an order of magnitude compared with current methods.
- Propose new system wide approaches to reduce power consumption and integrate power and performance in architectural development cutting power consumption in half without affecting performance.
- Investigate and develop new programming models and runtime systems to provide scalable exploitation of future architecture, doubling system utilisation relative to today's approaches.
- Integrate research by bringing processor & interconnection designers, compiler, language & runtime experts together to develop long-term sustainable approaches to advanced computer architecture in Europe.